Château Morillon, a story of families
The first written record of Château Morillon goes back to the 12th century. A feudal château once existed on the site where a beautiful 18th century Renaissance-style manor house now stands. This has since been renovated by the happy owners, Chantal and Jean-Marie Mado
The château originally belonged to the Brun de Gadeau family, whose feudal rights extended over the surrounding region until the French Revolution. The château’s reputation was such that King Louis IX (“Saint Louis”) stayed there in 1242 after his victories in Saintes and Taillebourg against Henry III, King of England.
According to legend, Louis found this a haven of peace and an ideal place to rest with his troops. It is said that his ghost lives on at the estate…
Seeing as René-Joseph Brun de Gadeau was Deputy Commandant at the Citadel of Blaye, a recipient of the Royal and Military Order of Saint Louis, and a member of the French Parliament representing the aristocracy as Lord of Campugnan, he was forced to emigrate during the French Revolution, and his possessions were confiscated. The château was purchased in 1794 par Jean Monnereau.
Château Morillon has stayed in the same family since the First French Empire, starting with the Roy family (descendants of Jean Monnereau), who managed the estate and made it prosper for two centuries, until the arrival of the present-day successors, Chantal and Jean-Marie Mado, who took over in 2004.
Chantal et Jean-Marie Mado, organic viticulture, the obvious way to go…
In the 80s and 90s, Jean-Marie Mado was very much involved in promoting organic foods as president of the industry’s professional association.
After a career in organic farming, Chantal and Jean-Marie Mado acquired Château Morillon in 2004.
At that time, the estate consisted of 14 hectares of vines, an elegant 18th century château, a cellar, traditional concrete vats with a total capacity of 1,400 hectolitres, and vast outbuildings that need to be completely renovated.